“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone.” -Oscar Wilde
I have done a lot of reflecting not just on the past year, but on the last decade. There was so much I accomplished, which I would have overlooked because a few things didn’t go as planned.
For instance, I met my husband at the beginning of the past decade. I graduated from university, moved across the country, finished graduate school, moved back across the country, and had a baby. I realize, as I write this, that sometimes I am too hard on myself. Everything, but the meeting my husband part was done this year. Sheesh. I need to take it easy in 2020. Jokes aside, my life at 35 is different than I would have ever imagined at 25.
Instead of focusing on a slew of resolutions which I will inevitably give up on about three weeks into this new year, I’ve decided to make a list of things I have figured out. Just to clarify, I am not against resolutions, and I have made some concrete actionable goals this year. I’m just not going to dedicate an entire blog post to them.
Things I’ve Learned About Myself
- Hiking makes me extremely happy, even if it’s snowing. In fact, especially when it’s snowing.
- Breastfeeding has been one of the most intense journeys of my life. Having to adopt a restrictive diet was challenging mentally and physically as my body went through all my fat stores in order to keep producing milk. In short, my body is incredible.
- Dairy is hidden in everything. So is soy.
- Travel becomes less important when you love where you live. I still love traveling, and we are planning a big trip for 2020, but for now I am just happy to live in a place that brings me so much joy.
- Writing fiction is hard.
- There are still a good number of wonderful people in the world. I forgot this while I lived on the east coast.
- You can love someone from a distance if that’s what it takes for you to keep your mental sanity.
- Mental health is important.
- Baking is surprisingly therapeutic.
- My daughter brings me immense joy, even though our journey together has been wrought with challenges.
- My husband is probably the only reason I haven’t completely gone mad this past year. Turns out, he’s an amazing father.
- Motherhood is beautiful, painful, and the hardest job on the planet. It’s rewarding as well, but man oh man is it hard.
- Not all in-laws relationship are the way the media portrays. Sometimes in-laws can surprise you and uplift you even more than your own parents.
- I am still horrible with gift giving and timing. I am the person who buys postcards while on vacation and 9 times out of 10 forgets to mail them. However, I managed to send out Christmas cards this year so that has to count for something.
- I miss HBO’s programming.
I hope to write more regularly on this blog this year. That’s a goal I feel good about sharing, and hopefully this makes me somewhat more accountable than I usually am with my writing goals.
I hope we all have a fabulous and prosperous 2020!